Sunday, October 05, 2008

Jefferson Memorial


If you look at my last few posts, you will see that all of these monuments are very close to each other and I have posted about them in the order that you see them as you walk from place to place. Bring good walking shoes! All of the posts that you have seen so far were all done in one day.
As you walk down the lane from the FDR memorial, you see this impressive building...
From the front the memorial is reminiscent of Monticello...
The statue of Jefferson is every bit as impressive as the statue of Lincoln, although, somehow, the seated Lincoln seems to have a little more "gravitas"
Somehow, with the revelation of Jefferson fathering children with the slave, Sally Hemmings, these words ring hallow. Yet they are great words. Jefferson is surely a flawed, but great man. Much like William "Jefferson" Clinton...

Truer words were never spoken...
What can I add in commentary?
I leave the rest to your comments...

2 comments:

Paula said...

Nice. I should take my kids to DC, but we don't travel much because of conflicting schedules and hubby's work.

It is rather awesome the way the Founding Fathers (flawed as they were) designed our self-correcting system of government, which is certainly not perfect, but better than the alternatives.

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Beautiful photos; I'd love to return to DC some day, particularly now that I have a nice digital camera. My wife's never been either; I'd love to show her so much of that history.

BZ